For the second year, the Tallahatchie RiverFest will get under way with a Kickoff Community Luncheon.
The kickoff luncheon was begun a year ago to help push the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of the festival since the beginning 20 years ago.
The event, which includes a hot buffet lunch, will be held at noon Friday, Sept. 21, in the meeting hall of the First United Methodist Church. Tickets are $10.
A highlight of the event this year is the speaker, well-known author and columnist Rheta Grimsley Johnson, whose column appears each Friday in the Gazette, as well as more than 50 other newspapers including the Journal in Tupelo.
Our community is fortunate to have a speaker of the stature of Johnson, who many believe is one of the South’s greatest living writers. After the lunch, Johnson has agreed to autograph her books.
During the event, awards will be presented to the winners of the annual William Faulkner Literary Competition. The competition includes categories for best short story by adults/college-age students, best one-act play, and best story by a high school student.
We had a good turnout for the first kickoff luncheon last year and we hope to have even more support this year. A successful event depends on businesses and organizations reserving tables of eight seats for $80. Tickets are available at the Union County Heritage Museum and the Union County Development Association.
We think this Friday kickoff lunch merits your support.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...