For the second year, the Tallahatchie RiverFest will get under way with a Kickoff Community Luncheon.
The kickoff luncheon was begun a year ago to help push the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of the festival since the beginning 20 years ago.
The event, which includes a hot buffet lunch, will be held at noon Friday, Sept. 21, in the meeting hall of the First United Methodist Church. Tickets are $10.
A highlight of the event this year is the speaker, well-known author and columnist Rheta Grimsley Johnson, whose column appears each Friday in the Gazette, as well as more than 50 other newspapers including the Journal in Tupelo.
Our community is fortunate to have a speaker of the stature of Johnson, who many believe is one of the South’s greatest living writers. After the lunch, Johnson has agreed to autograph her books.
During the event, awards will be presented to the winners of the annual William Faulkner Literary Competition. The competition includes categories for best short story by adults/college-age students, best one-act play, and best story by a high school student.
We had a good turnout for the first kickoff luncheon last year and we hope to have even more support this year. A successful event depends on businesses and organizations reserving tables of eight seats for $80. Tickets are available at the Union County Heritage Museum and the Union County Development Association.
We think this Friday kickoff lunch merits your support.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...