For the second year, the Tallahatchie RiverFest will get under way with a Kickoff Community Luncheon.
The kickoff luncheon was begun a year ago to help push the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of the festival since the beginning 20 years ago.
The event, which includes a hot buffet lunch, will be held at noon Friday, Sept. 21, in the meeting hall of the First United Methodist Church. Tickets are $10.
A highlight of the event this year is the speaker, well-known author and columnist Rheta Grimsley Johnson, whose column appears each Friday in the Gazette, as well as more than 50 other newspapers including the Journal in Tupelo.
Our community is fortunate to have a speaker of the stature of Johnson, who many believe is one of the South’s greatest living writers. After the lunch, Johnson has agreed to autograph her books.
During the event, awards will be presented to the winners of the annual William Faulkner Literary Competition. The competition includes categories for best short story by adults/college-age students, best one-act play, and best story by a high school student.
We had a good turnout for the first kickoff luncheon last year and we hope to have even more support this year. A successful event depends on businesses and organizations reserving tables of eight seats for $80. Tickets are available at the Union County Heritage Museum and the Union County Development Association.
We think this Friday kickoff lunch merits your support.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...