Edna Abernethy Obituary
Edna Todd Abernethy, 87, of Madison, passed away Aug. 25, 2012 at Hospice Ministries in Ridgeland. She was born Oct. 13, 1924 in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas in the town of Donna. At the age of 14, she moved to the New Albany area and graduated from Macedonia High School. Since 1998, she had been a resident of The Home Place in Madison.
Edna was a member of Myrtle United Methodist Church in Myrtle and was also involved with St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church in Madison for many years. She was passionate about her faith. Known as an avid prayer warrior, many looked to her for support during times of need. She took great pleasure in her family as well, especially enjoying visits from her great-granddaughters.
She is survived by her son J. Samuel Abernethy (Susan) of Dahlonega, Ga.; daughter Suzanne Parker (Dan) of Madison; and granddaughter Abbey Wright (Daniel) and their daughters Marianna & Emma Kate Wright of Madison. She is also survived by her sister Ethel Montgomery of Brandon and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband of 56 years, James Abernethy.
Visitation was from 10 to 11 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012 at Myrtle United Methodist Church, with the funeral following at 11 a.m. Interment was at Gerizim Cemetary in Myrtle. United Funeral Service was in charge of the arrangements.
Memorials may be made to Myrtle United Methodist Church, St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church, or The Home Place.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...