Edna Abernethy Obituary
Edna Todd Abernethy, 87, of Madison, passed away Aug. 25, 2012 at Hospice Ministries in Ridgeland. She was born Oct. 13, 1924 in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas in the town of Donna. At the age of 14, she moved to the New Albany area and graduated from Macedonia High School. Since 1998, she had been a resident of The Home Place in Madison.
Edna was a member of Myrtle United Methodist Church in Myrtle and was also involved with St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church in Madison for many years. She was passionate about her faith. Known as an avid prayer warrior, many looked to her for support during times of need. She took great pleasure in her family as well, especially enjoying visits from her great-granddaughters.
She is survived by her son J. Samuel Abernethy (Susan) of Dahlonega, Ga.; daughter Suzanne Parker (Dan) of Madison; and granddaughter Abbey Wright (Daniel) and their daughters Marianna & Emma Kate Wright of Madison. She is also survived by her sister Ethel Montgomery of Brandon and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband of 56 years, James Abernethy.
Visitation was from 10 to 11 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012 at Myrtle United Methodist Church, with the funeral following at 11 a.m. Interment was at Gerizim Cemetary in Myrtle. United Funeral Service was in charge of the arrangements.
Memorials may be made to Myrtle United Methodist Church, St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church, or The Home Place.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...