Edna Abernethy Obituary
Edna Todd Abernethy, 87, of Madison, passed away Aug. 25, 2012 at Hospice Ministries in Ridgeland. She was born Oct. 13, 1924 in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas in the town of Donna. At the age of 14, she moved to the New Albany area and graduated from Macedonia High School. Since 1998, she had been a resident of The Home Place in Madison.
Edna was a member of Myrtle United Methodist Church in Myrtle and was also involved with St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church in Madison for many years. She was passionate about her faith. Known as an avid prayer warrior, many looked to her for support during times of need. She took great pleasure in her family as well, especially enjoying visits from her great-granddaughters.
She is survived by her son J. Samuel Abernethy (Susan) of Dahlonega, Ga.; daughter Suzanne Parker (Dan) of Madison; and granddaughter Abbey Wright (Daniel) and their daughters Marianna & Emma Kate Wright of Madison. She is also survived by her sister Ethel Montgomery of Brandon and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband of 56 years, James Abernethy.
Visitation was from 10 to 11 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012 at Myrtle United Methodist Church, with the funeral following at 11 a.m. Interment was at Gerizim Cemetary in Myrtle. United Funeral Service was in charge of the arrangements.
Memorials may be made to Myrtle United Methodist Church, St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church, or The Home Place.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday