Local cheerleader to perform in Macy’s and London parades
Megan Rakestraw from Ingomar High School is one of more than 500 high school cheerleaders and dancers from across the U.S. Who will be performing in the world famous London New Year’s Day Parade and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The individuals invited to perform in these events qualified for the trip after being selected as an All-American at one of the summer camps hosted by the Universal Cheerleaders Association (UCA), National Cheerleaders Association (NCA), United Spirit Association (USA), Universal Dance Association (UDA) and National Dance Alliance (NDA). All Americans are selected to try out based on superior cheerleading skills at camps across the country. Rakestraw was selected by the UCA after Ingomar held a private camp at the school during June.
Varsity has been hosting camps since 1974. Since then, they have been leading the way by combing high energy entrtainment with traditional school leadership. Each year, Varsity Brands trains over 325,000 cheerleaders at over 5,000 camp sessions.
Only the top 12% of the cheerleaders who attend varsity summer camps earn the chance to march in these holiday spectaculars. In addition to performing in the London parade, the All-Americans will have the chance to tour London during the seven-day trip.
Rakestraw will hold a fish fry next month to help raise money for the trips. For more information on Rakestraw, visit her website at www.gofundme.com/LilMeg2013.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...