Macedonia News, August 31, 2012
By Lou McQuary
On Sunday, Aug. 12 Ginger and Stephen Harrell hosted a birthday celebration lunch for James Shirley’s 82nd birthday. Everyone enjoyed a fine meal of James’ favorite dishes-ham, turkey and dressing, creamed potatoes, yams, and fresh vegetables-not to mention birthday cake, ice cream, and Ginger’s famous chocolate candy. Sounds like a meal fit for a king!
Those celebrating with James were Shirley Shirley, Ben, Susan, and Kellie McClelland, Stephen, Ginger, and Wesley Harrell, Emily and Julie Canoy, Jimmy, Angela, Jacob, Savannah, and CJ Shirley, and special guests Ray Shirley and Malcolm Rhea.
The West Union PTO had a movie night for grades Pre-K through third grade on Friday night from 6-9 p.m. on Aug. 24. About 75 kids watched the “Smurfs.” They enjoyed popcorn and Kool-Aid while watching the movie. The kids brought pillows and sleeping blankets so they could enjoy the movie in comfort. About 10 adults chaperoned the event.
On Saturday, Aug. 25 the PTO sponsored a dance for grades 4-6. About 45 kids and 10 adults enjoyed the night of dancing.
Claire Douell celebrated her eighth birthday on Saturday, Aug.25 at Macedonia Baptist Church Family Life Center. Twelve girls painted peace signs and enjoyed cake and ice cream. Claire is the daughter of Anita and Michael Douell.
On Sunday, Aug. 26 I went to the homecoming at First Methodist Church in Houston, Miss. As a child I grew up in Houston, but I attended the Baptist Church. My daddy, Raymond Simpson, and my Aunt Catherine and Uncle Arnold Simpson all attended the Methodist Church.
After my husband and I married we would always go to the Methodist Church with my daddy and stepmother when we would visit for the weekend. I grew to love the church during this time. My kids always referred to it as Papaw’s church.
There are no longer any Simpsons living in Houston since all of the older ones have died, and the younger ones have moved away.
Also attending the homecoming were my sister and her husband, Bill and CP Winters from Hurley, MS, my cousins-Kitty and David Vickery from Boston, Mass., Jimmy and Betty Carolyn Simpson from Covington, La., and Glynne Arnold and Ann Simpson from Jackson, Miss.
During her life, my Aunt Catherine worked diligently in the food ministry in the Methodist church. After her death last year, her children sent a donation to the church for remodeling of the kitchen. Her picture has been placed in the kitchen area. The preacher acknowledged the monetary gift and thanked the family during the meal.
My cousins and I spent the afternoon roaming the hills and hollars and graveyards of Chickasaw County. My cousins located the gravestones of their great great grandparents and grandparents.
My cousin Kitty and her husband David treated us to supper at the bed and breakfast where they were staying. A delicious meal was served, and we enjoyed the fellowship of being together once again. Fond remembrances were shared of times spent growing up only one fourth of a mile apart. We all live so far apart now, so times spent together are precious.
The midweek children’s program for ages 3-6th grade will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 5. The bus will not be running until further notice. We are asking the parents to bring the children until we can make adjustments.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...