Test scores continue climb locally
Both New Albany and Union County School Districts said they’ve seen continued improvements in the 2011-2012 Mississippi Curriculum Test, second edition scores, released this week.
According to New Abany School District Superintendent Jackie Ford, test scores were up in all three of the district’s schools over last year.
“I don’t have any complaints at all,” Ford said. “Our kids and our teachers all worked hard and did a great job bringing our scores up. It was definitely a team effort.”
Ford specifically mentioned the high school scores in the Subject Area Tests, such as algebra, biology and both English II and English II writing, as being one of the district’s strengths this year.
“The high school did really well across the board,” Ford said. “In general, all of the scores were up over last year.”
As far as the MCT2 itself, Ford said that the math scores among elementary and middle school students were also improved.
Ron Scott, assistant superintendent for the Union County School District, said test scores among middle school students were also much improved.
“Our 7th and 8th grade students last year seemed to score better than in the past,” Scott said. “That’s actually unusual because, at that age, grades aren’t always their top priority.”
Scott said that students at each school had varying strengths overall.
“There were certain areas among the different schools were students performed better than others,” Scott said. “It always varies from school to school. But overall, we’re pleased.”
Scott did mention that subject area test scores at certain schools were high in algebra and biology.
“All of our teachers and students worked really hard this year,” he said.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...