Test scores continue climb locally
Both New Albany and Union County School Districts said they’ve seen continued improvements in the 2011-2012 Mississippi Curriculum Test, second edition scores, released this week.
According to New Abany School District Superintendent Jackie Ford, test scores were up in all three of the district’s schools over last year.
“I don’t have any complaints at all,” Ford said. “Our kids and our teachers all worked hard and did a great job bringing our scores up. It was definitely a team effort.”
Ford specifically mentioned the high school scores in the Subject Area Tests, such as algebra, biology and both English II and English II writing, as being one of the district’s strengths this year.
“The high school did really well across the board,” Ford said. “In general, all of the scores were up over last year.”
As far as the MCT2 itself, Ford said that the math scores among elementary and middle school students were also improved.
Ron Scott, assistant superintendent for the Union County School District, said test scores among middle school students were also much improved.
“Our 7th and 8th grade students last year seemed to score better than in the past,” Scott said. “That’s actually unusual because, at that age, grades aren’t always their top priority.”
Scott said that students at each school had varying strengths overall.
“There were certain areas among the different schools were students performed better than others,” Scott said. “It always varies from school to school. But overall, we’re pleased.”
Scott did mention that subject area test scores at certain schools were high in algebra and biology.
“All of our teachers and students worked really hard this year,” he said.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...