Test scores continue climb locally
Both New Albany and Union County School Districts said they’ve seen continued improvements in the 2011-2012 Mississippi Curriculum Test, second edition scores, released this week.
According to New Abany School District Superintendent Jackie Ford, test scores were up in all three of the district’s schools over last year.
“I don’t have any complaints at all,” Ford said. “Our kids and our teachers all worked hard and did a great job bringing our scores up. It was definitely a team effort.”
Ford specifically mentioned the high school scores in the Subject Area Tests, such as algebra, biology and both English II and English II writing, as being one of the district’s strengths this year.
“The high school did really well across the board,” Ford said. “In general, all of the scores were up over last year.”
As far as the MCT2 itself, Ford said that the math scores among elementary and middle school students were also improved.
Ron Scott, assistant superintendent for the Union County School District, said test scores among middle school students were also much improved.
“Our 7th and 8th grade students last year seemed to score better than in the past,” Scott said. “That’s actually unusual because, at that age, grades aren’t always their top priority.”
Scott said that students at each school had varying strengths overall.
“There were certain areas among the different schools were students performed better than others,” Scott said. “It always varies from school to school. But overall, we’re pleased.”
Scott did mention that subject area test scores at certain schools were high in algebra and biology.
“All of our teachers and students worked really hard this year,” he said.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...