Gladys Davis Obituary
Gladys Hale Davis, 95, of New Albany, passed away Aug. 31, 2012 at Dogwood Plantation Assisted Living in New Albany. She was born in Lafayette County, Mississippi March 26, 1917 to Q.D. and Janie Hale. She graduated from W.P. Daniel High School in 1934. She was married to John M. Davis who preceded her in death in 1988.
She was a member of Hillcrest Baptist Church for many years. She was an active member of the J.O.Y. Sunday School class and W.M.U. She was an active member of A.A.R.P. and the Business Women’s Club. She served as Chief Clerk of the Selective Service Board during World War II. She retired from the Union County School System after 24 years at the Central Office at the Courthouse. She spearheaded the beginning of the New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults and served as a volunteer there for 49 years. She was honored in July 2009 with a party attended by many thankful participants and their families where she received a plaque and a proclamation from New Albany Mayor Tim Kent.
She is survived by her son Johnny Davis (Carolyn) and grandson Joe M. Davis (Jennie) of New Albany, her granddaughter Dawn Davis Carson (Jeff) of Hernando, and two great-grandchildren Katie Davis and John MacGregor Davis of New Albany.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, one son Jimmy Davis, and two brothers, Q.D. Hale, Jr. and Harold Hale.
Visitation was from 4 to 7 p.m., Sunday, at United Funeral Service. The funeral service was held at 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 3, 2012, at United Funeral Service with Whit Lewis officiating. Interment was in New Albany Cemetery.
Pallbearers were Bob Wages, Keith Richey, Marshall Robbins, Ed Humphreys, Dewey Davidson, and Frank Madden. Honorary pallbearers were Herbert Morgan, Enoch Purvis, and Charles Coker.
The family wishes to express their thanks to the staff of Dogwood Plantation and Sanctuary Home Hospice for their loving care. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to New Haven Center or Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert