Gladys Davis Obituary
Gladys Hale Davis, 95, of New Albany, passed away Aug. 31, 2012 at Dogwood Plantation Assisted Living in New Albany. She was born in Lafayette County, Mississippi March 26, 1917 to Q.D. and Janie Hale. She graduated from W.P. Daniel High School in 1934. She was married to John M. Davis who preceded her in death in 1988.
She was a member of Hillcrest Baptist Church for many years. She was an active member of the J.O.Y. Sunday School class and W.M.U. She was an active member of A.A.R.P. and the Business Women’s Club. She served as Chief Clerk of the Selective Service Board during World War II. She retired from the Union County School System after 24 years at the Central Office at the Courthouse. She spearheaded the beginning of the New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults and served as a volunteer there for 49 years. She was honored in July 2009 with a party attended by many thankful participants and their families where she received a plaque and a proclamation from New Albany Mayor Tim Kent.
She is survived by her son Johnny Davis (Carolyn) and grandson Joe M. Davis (Jennie) of New Albany, her granddaughter Dawn Davis Carson (Jeff) of Hernando, and two great-grandchildren Katie Davis and John MacGregor Davis of New Albany.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, one son Jimmy Davis, and two brothers, Q.D. Hale, Jr. and Harold Hale.
Visitation was from 4 to 7 p.m., Sunday, at United Funeral Service. The funeral service was held at 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 3, 2012, at United Funeral Service with Whit Lewis officiating. Interment was in New Albany Cemetery.
Pallbearers were Bob Wages, Keith Richey, Marshall Robbins, Ed Humphreys, Dewey Davidson, and Frank Madden. Honorary pallbearers were Herbert Morgan, Enoch Purvis, and Charles Coker.
The family wishes to express their thanks to the staff of Dogwood Plantation and Sanctuary Home Hospice for their loving care. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to New Haven Center or Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...