Gladys Davis Obituary
Gladys Hale Davis, 95, of New Albany, passed away Aug. 31, 2012 at Dogwood Plantation Assisted Living in New Albany. She was born in Lafayette County, Mississippi March 26, 1917 to Q.D. and Janie Hale. She graduated from W.P. Daniel High School in 1934. She was married to John M. Davis who preceded her in death in 1988.
She was a member of Hillcrest Baptist Church for many years. She was an active member of the J.O.Y. Sunday School class and W.M.U. She was an active member of A.A.R.P. and the Business Women’s Club. She served as Chief Clerk of the Selective Service Board during World War II. She retired from the Union County School System after 24 years at the Central Office at the Courthouse. She spearheaded the beginning of the New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults and served as a volunteer there for 49 years. She was honored in July 2009 with a party attended by many thankful participants and their families where she received a plaque and a proclamation from New Albany Mayor Tim Kent.
She is survived by her son Johnny Davis (Carolyn) and grandson Joe M. Davis (Jennie) of New Albany, her granddaughter Dawn Davis Carson (Jeff) of Hernando, and two great-grandchildren Katie Davis and John MacGregor Davis of New Albany.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, one son Jimmy Davis, and two brothers, Q.D. Hale, Jr. and Harold Hale.
Visitation was from 4 to 7 p.m., Sunday, at United Funeral Service. The funeral service was held at 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 3, 2012, at United Funeral Service with Whit Lewis officiating. Interment was in New Albany Cemetery.
Pallbearers were Bob Wages, Keith Richey, Marshall Robbins, Ed Humphreys, Dewey Davidson, and Frank Madden. Honorary pallbearers were Herbert Morgan, Enoch Purvis, and Charles Coker.
The family wishes to express their thanks to the staff of Dogwood Plantation and Sanctuary Home Hospice for their loving care. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to New Haven Center or Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...