Mischief is being made in Oxford again.
Last fall a group calling itself Forward Rebels placed anonymous ads in newspapers around the state critical of the University of Mississippi administration and especially its athletic director.
The group spent a lot of money embarrassing the university and creating a distraction that undermined support for the school and its athletic programs.
During the football season, Houston Nutt, the head football coach was fired, as expected, and the athletic director announced his retirement.
During the summer, the group announced it was disbanding.
That was then. But last Friday, Lee Habeeb of Oxford, who had been the spokesman for the group, placed a half-page ad in the Oxford Eagle. In it he wrote a letter purportedly from the perspective of Rebel, the Ole Miss black bear mascot.
The effect was to make fun of the mascot, which the university adopted in 2010 following a student election of several mascot choices. Rebel was adopted after seven years with no mascot. The university did away with the gray-haired plantation mascot, Colonel Reb, in 2003. Grumbling about the decision continues with some alumni.
We don’t see what purpose is being served by bringing up this issue again. Mascots are for kids, and Rebel the bear is popular with the kids, and is a good marketing tool for the university.
The university has made major strides in recent years in improving both its academics and its national image. It has become a progressive, multicultural institution that reflects the demographics of our state and our region.
It’s time to move on.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...