East Union drops first game
The East Union Urchins hosted its first home game on Friday night, and suffered its first loss at the hands of the Mantachie Mustangs, 41-6, making them 2-1 on the season.
The game was originally meant to begin at 7:30 p.m., but electrical issues at the field at BNA Bank Park delayed the game for an hour.
“We got off to a shaky start off the field,” East Union head coach Scott Duley said. “We had over and hour delay with our light situation. Whether that had anything to do with our performance tonight, I’m not sure.”
Mantachie scored five touchdowns in the first half and one more in the second, building a 41-0 lead going into the fourth quarter. Running back Broderick Montgomery scored East Union’s only touchdown with two minutes left, preventing the shutout.
“We were not prepared,” Duley said. “We knew what they were going to do, they did exactly what we practiced all week, but defensively we were on our heels.”
Duley said that while the coaches and players could call the plays that Mantachie was going to run, they just couldn’t stop them.
“They’re a good, hard-nosed football team, and they just ran over us tonight,” Duley said. “I just feel bad for our kids because I know they can play so much better than that, and we’ll get back to work next week.”
The Urchins will travel to face Ripley next Friday night.
-story by Josh Presley
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...