East Union drops first game
The East Union Urchins hosted its first home game on Friday night, and suffered its first loss at the hands of the Mantachie Mustangs, 41-6, making them 2-1 on the season.
The game was originally meant to begin at 7:30 p.m., but electrical issues at the field at BNA Bank Park delayed the game for an hour.
“We got off to a shaky start off the field,” East Union head coach Scott Duley said. “We had over and hour delay with our light situation. Whether that had anything to do with our performance tonight, I’m not sure.”
Mantachie scored five touchdowns in the first half and one more in the second, building a 41-0 lead going into the fourth quarter. Running back Broderick Montgomery scored East Union’s only touchdown with two minutes left, preventing the shutout.
“We were not prepared,” Duley said. “We knew what they were going to do, they did exactly what we practiced all week, but defensively we were on our heels.”
Duley said that while the coaches and players could call the plays that Mantachie was going to run, they just couldn’t stop them.
“They’re a good, hard-nosed football team, and they just ran over us tonight,” Duley said. “I just feel bad for our kids because I know they can play so much better than that, and we’ll get back to work next week.”
The Urchins will travel to face Ripley next Friday night.
-story by Josh Presley
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series