East Union drops first game
The East Union Urchins hosted its first home game on Friday night, and suffered its first loss at the hands of the Mantachie Mustangs, 41-6, making them 2-1 on the season.
The game was originally meant to begin at 7:30 p.m., but electrical issues at the field at BNA Bank Park delayed the game for an hour.
“We got off to a shaky start off the field,” East Union head coach Scott Duley said. “We had over and hour delay with our light situation. Whether that had anything to do with our performance tonight, I’m not sure.”
Mantachie scored five touchdowns in the first half and one more in the second, building a 41-0 lead going into the fourth quarter. Running back Broderick Montgomery scored East Union’s only touchdown with two minutes left, preventing the shutout.
“We were not prepared,” Duley said. “We knew what they were going to do, they did exactly what we practiced all week, but defensively we were on our heels.”
Duley said that while the coaches and players could call the plays that Mantachie was going to run, they just couldn’t stop them.
“They’re a good, hard-nosed football team, and they just ran over us tonight,” Duley said. “I just feel bad for our kids because I know they can play so much better than that, and we’ll get back to work next week.”
The Urchins will travel to face Ripley next Friday night.
-story by Josh Presley
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...