It’s Pioneer Days time
The Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children, will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
It was 11 years ago that Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to demonstrate the life of early pioneers with demonstrations and hands-on activities.
More than 1,000 children in school classes are expected tomorrow and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to take part in a variety of activities at the museum.
On Saturday, the public is invited to attend from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The activities take place at the museum on Cleveland Street.
Hands-on activities range from corn shelling to log cabin building and fire starting to rope making. More than two dozens activities will be demonstrated including butter churning, spinning and weaving, quilt making, food preserving and story telling and yarn spinning.
Also on Saturday the traditional bluegrass group, the Haywire Fiddleheads, will perform. The group includes the Mississippi Bluegrass Guitar Champion.
Heritage Pioneer Days has become one of the area’s most popular family activities. Its growth parallels that of the museum.
Make your way to the museum Saturday for the 11th annual Pioneer Days.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...