It’s Pioneer Days time
The Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children, will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
It was 11 years ago that Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to demonstrate the life of early pioneers with demonstrations and hands-on activities.
More than 1,000 children in school classes are expected tomorrow and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to take part in a variety of activities at the museum.
On Saturday, the public is invited to attend from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The activities take place at the museum on Cleveland Street.
Hands-on activities range from corn shelling to log cabin building and fire starting to rope making. More than two dozens activities will be demonstrated including butter churning, spinning and weaving, quilt making, food preserving and story telling and yarn spinning.
Also on Saturday the traditional bluegrass group, the Haywire Fiddleheads, will perform. The group includes the Mississippi Bluegrass Guitar Champion.
Heritage Pioneer Days has become one of the area’s most popular family activities. Its growth parallels that of the museum.
Make your way to the museum Saturday for the 11th annual Pioneer Days.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...