It’s Pioneer Days time
The Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children, will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
It was 11 years ago that Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to demonstrate the life of early pioneers with demonstrations and hands-on activities.
More than 1,000 children in school classes are expected tomorrow and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to take part in a variety of activities at the museum.
On Saturday, the public is invited to attend from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The activities take place at the museum on Cleveland Street.
Hands-on activities range from corn shelling to log cabin building and fire starting to rope making. More than two dozens activities will be demonstrated including butter churning, spinning and weaving, quilt making, food preserving and story telling and yarn spinning.
Also on Saturday the traditional bluegrass group, the Haywire Fiddleheads, will perform. The group includes the Mississippi Bluegrass Guitar Champion.
Heritage Pioneer Days has become one of the area’s most popular family activities. Its growth parallels that of the museum.
Make your way to the museum Saturday for the 11th annual Pioneer Days.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...