West Union defeats Myrtle on the road
Coming off a tough division loss on Thursday, West Union went on the road again on Friday and came up with a big win at Myrtle, 8-2.
Having lost 3-2 at Pine Grove and with the Lady Hawks earning a 6-1 win against Wheeler the day before, both teams needed the win to stay on track for a potential division title.
“We were coming off of a tough loss yesterday, and I knew they would do one of two things; either be pumped up and play hard or to lay down, and I’m glad they chose to be pumped up and play ball,” West Union Head Coach Lisa Bogue said. “I’m proud of them, and Myrtle played a good game, but we came to play ball today.”
The Lady Eagles scored its first runs in the third inning, as Julianna Garner brought in three runs on a triple and scored later on a sac fly from Brittany Taylor. Myrtle answered quickly with Meshay Cox and Keely Chunn brining in runs, making it 3-2. The Lady Eagles added four runs in the fifth on an RBI singles from Taylor and Jodie McMillin, and an error plated two more. West Union’s last run was scored in the seventh.
“We know that Myrtle’s a team that’s capable of scoring every inning, and we tried to minimize them every chance we had,” Bogue said. “We’re fortunate for the win, and glad we have it.”
Garner, Taylor, Bailey Bogue and Grace Rutledge had multiple hits for West Union, while Amber Cook had two hits for Myrtle.
West Union will have another tough division test next Tuesday at Ingomar. The Lady Eagles defeated the Lady Falcons at home earlier this season.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...