West Union defeats Myrtle on the road
Coming off a tough division loss on Thursday, West Union went on the road again on Friday and came up with a big win at Myrtle, 8-2.
Having lost 3-2 at Pine Grove and with the Lady Hawks earning a 6-1 win against Wheeler the day before, both teams needed the win to stay on track for a potential division title.
“We were coming off of a tough loss yesterday, and I knew they would do one of two things; either be pumped up and play hard or to lay down, and I’m glad they chose to be pumped up and play ball,” West Union Head Coach Lisa Bogue said. “I’m proud of them, and Myrtle played a good game, but we came to play ball today.”
The Lady Eagles scored its first runs in the third inning, as Julianna Garner brought in three runs on a triple and scored later on a sac fly from Brittany Taylor. Myrtle answered quickly with Meshay Cox and Keely Chunn brining in runs, making it 3-2. The Lady Eagles added four runs in the fifth on an RBI singles from Taylor and Jodie McMillin, and an error plated two more. West Union’s last run was scored in the seventh.
“We know that Myrtle’s a team that’s capable of scoring every inning, and we tried to minimize them every chance we had,” Bogue said. “We’re fortunate for the win, and glad we have it.”
Garner, Taylor, Bailey Bogue and Grace Rutledge had multiple hits for West Union, while Amber Cook had two hits for Myrtle.
West Union will have another tough division test next Tuesday at Ingomar. The Lady Eagles defeated the Lady Falcons at home earlier this season.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...