Improving our scores
The state of Mississippi has released the results of its annual public school performance testing and both New Albany and Union County showed continuing improvement in their overall scores.
New Albany had an impressive jump in its district score to 193 from 180 last year and Union County improved to 175 this year compared to 169 last year. Both numbers are good enough for the districts to be labeled “high performing” among the state’s public schools.
The most exciting news in the scores was New Albany High School’s score of 209, up from 206 last year and 192 the year before. New Albany High School achieved “Star” school status for the second consecutive year. Other high schools in northeast Mississippi with “Star” status for being in the highest performance category are Oxford, Lafayette, Saltillo, Boonville, Mooreville and Kossuth.
Other New Albany scores were 197 for the elementary school compared to 185 last year and 190 for the middle school, up from 174 last year.
In Union County, the Ingomar and West Union Attendance Centers had scores of 181, compared to 169 at both schools year year. East Union got a score of 173, up from 167 last year, and Myrtle slipped to 169 from 174 last year.
Overall, we are proud of our public schools in New Albany and Union County. We are fortunate to have strong schools where administrators, teachers and students understand the value of public education.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...