Voter registration ends Oct. 6
Residents of Union County who have yet to register to vote have only a short time left in order to make their voices heard on Nov. 6.
According to Phyllis Stanford, Circuit Clerk for Union County, Saturday, Oct. 6 is the last day that citizens of Union County can register to vote, or update their registration information, such as changes in address or marital status.
“In Mississippi, residents have to register by 30 days before the election,” Stanford said. “Our office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon, next Saturday, Oct. 6, for residents to register.”
In Mississippi, a person must be at least 18 years old and must have lived within that city and county for at least 30 days to vote in an upcoming election.
Stanford said that her office has also has absentee ballots available beginning this week for residents who will be unable to vote in person on Nov. 6.
Locally, some citizens will have a choice to make in the five county election commissioner races, while persons living in the third and fourth county districts will decide two county school board member contests.
Graham Spencer, Rank W. Boyte, Mike Beam and Wayne Wilhite will go unchallenged in the election commissioner races, first, third and fourth posts respectively, while Bill Azlin, Ralph Hanskiewicz and Lanell Kennon Hudson will face off in the election commissioner, second post race.
Meanwhile, school board member Buddy Dixon will face Mike Browning in the third district race.
Robert Hogue will go unchallenged in the race for fourth district school board. Johnny Rakestraw, who currently holds the fourth district seat, will not seek re-election.
On the state level, local residents will be make a choice between Incumbent Roger Wicker for the United States Sentate or Democrat Albert N. Gore, Jr. and two third-party candidates. Congressman Republican Alan Nunnelee will face Democrat Brad Morris and two third-party candidates.
Perhaps the most talked-about race on the Nov. 6 election ballot will be for the next President of the United States. Current president Barak Obama is being challenged by Republican Mitt Romney and four third-party candidates.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series