Voter registration ends Oct. 6
Residents of Union County who have yet to register to vote have only a short time left in order to make their voices heard on Nov. 6.
According to Phyllis Stanford, Circuit Clerk for Union County, Saturday, Oct. 6 is the last day that citizens of Union County can register to vote, or update their registration information, such as changes in address or marital status.
“In Mississippi, residents have to register by 30 days before the election,” Stanford said. “Our office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon, next Saturday, Oct. 6, for residents to register.”
In Mississippi, a person must be at least 18 years old and must have lived within that city and county for at least 30 days to vote in an upcoming election.
Stanford said that her office has also has absentee ballots available beginning this week for residents who will be unable to vote in person on Nov. 6.
Locally, some citizens will have a choice to make in the five county election commissioner races, while persons living in the third and fourth county districts will decide two county school board member contests.
Graham Spencer, Rank W. Boyte, Mike Beam and Wayne Wilhite will go unchallenged in the election commissioner races, first, third and fourth posts respectively, while Bill Azlin, Ralph Hanskiewicz and Lanell Kennon Hudson will face off in the election commissioner, second post race.
Meanwhile, school board member Buddy Dixon will face Mike Browning in the third district race.
Robert Hogue will go unchallenged in the race for fourth district school board. Johnny Rakestraw, who currently holds the fourth district seat, will not seek re-election.
On the state level, local residents will be make a choice between Incumbent Roger Wicker for the United States Sentate or Democrat Albert N. Gore, Jr. and two third-party candidates. Congressman Republican Alan Nunnelee will face Democrat Brad Morris and two third-party candidates.
Perhaps the most talked-about race on the Nov. 6 election ballot will be for the next President of the United States. Current president Barak Obama is being challenged by Republican Mitt Romney and four third-party candidates.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...