Bulldogs defeat Senatobia on homecoming
The Bulldogs were looking for a big win, and came through with a 14-7 victory over Senatobia to open division play.
Entering the game at 2-4 and on a three-game losing streak, New Albany put up a big defensive effort to get the win.
“We’ve challenged those guys each week to play New Albany defense the way they know how to play, and they put forth a great effort tonight,” Bulldogs head coach Ron Price said. “We gave up only one touchdown, and we put them in some tough positions, and they bent a little bit, but they made the big plays when they needed to.”
Each team had a turnover in the first quarter, but Spencer Day put the Bulldogs on the board late in the quarter on his one-yard run. Tevin Wooten would later tie the game on a three-yard run in the second, and the game held that same score at the half.
A pass interference call on Senatobia early in the fourth helped set up New Albany’s second touchdown; a 10-yard run by Boston Newsome. The Warriors had the ball late in the game, but turned it over on downs after New Albany’s defense sacked Senatobia quarterback Tevin Wink.
“We knew we needed to come out and have a big win, and I think we got it,” Bulldog senior Devonte Bradley said. “A lot of credit tonight goes to Cedric Buford.”
“It’s great to go out and get this win,” added senior Brady Barnes. “Our record may not show it, but we’ve been getting better each week, and we’re glad to have gone out and snapped this losing streak and win in our first division game.”
The Bulldogs improve to 3-4 (1-0) and will now prepare for its next division opponent, North Ponotoc, who defeated Rosa Fort, 15-14.
“It feels good to get a win. I’m very discouraged with some of the things we did tonight, but after some of the losses we’ve had this year, a win is a win,” Price said. “I would rather have an ugly win than a pretty loss, because our kids have been battling all year and have made the plays. We got a big homecoming win, and I’m proud of our kids for staying focused this week.”
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...