The United Way campaign for 2012 has been going on since August, and up to now the campaign has raised 28 percent of its goal of $2.3 million.
A number of major groups, including those involved in health care, have yet to finish their employee campaigns so the total may be misleading.
But in fundraising, nothing should be taken for granted in raising money to support the United Way of Northeast Mississippi, which operates in seven counties, including Union.
What is important locally is how much money is contributed by Union County residents because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy causes here.
This year we had $69,330 distributed to agencies that benefit Union County, a significant decrease from the $91,250 the prior year. That’s a reflection of local giving to the campaign.
The largest benefactors this year were the Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, Boys and Girls Club of New Albany with $15,000, the New Haven Center with $7,500 and Lighthouse with $5,000. Twenty-five other agencies shared the rest.
Giving in our county to the United Way is well below where it logically should be for a county of our size. We don’t know whether that is because we choose to give more of our money to other charities or because we are less generous than others. As far as we know, there is no measure for that.
The United Way supports many worthwhile causes in our community. If you have not already earmarked your charitable giving for some other cause, we would hope you would consider a gift to the United Way.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...