There are some things we have a little trouble taking real seriously. A proposed ordinance banning saggy pants is one of them.
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has set Nov. 6 as the time to discuss an ordinance that would ban wearing “sagging” pants. The proposal was brought up by Ward Three Alderman Tommie Beasley.
“It’s just not very decent to me to have a young man who could potentially be a leading citizen of the community walking around with his underwear showing,” Beasley said.
A “sagging” pants ordinance certainly is not a new thing. Other municipalities, including Tupelo, Ripley and Meridian, already have them. Most ordinances appear define the issue as wearing pants or skirts more than three inches below the top of the hips exposing the skin or undergarments. Penalties vary, but in Tupelo the first offense is a $50 fine.
We’re not here to argue the merits of saggy pants. We don’t like them. We also don’t like deep Vs in v-neck blouses, knit shirts that don’t cover the belly, shoes with no socks, short skirts that expose fat thighs, and the practice of wearing caps indoors.
But we’re not proposing to legislate against any of these things. Bad fashion and poor taste to one person is trendy style to someone else. We’re in favor of reasonable dress codes in our schools. Beyond that, we see lots of potential problems.
And we don’t think we should turn the New Albany Police Department into fashion police.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...