Myrtle gets brunt of storm damage
The town of Myrtle and immediate surrounding areas faced the brunt of a line of severe storms that rolled through Union County and Northeast Mississippi Wednesday night.
Several homes were damaged when strong winds exceeding 60 miles per hour blew down trees and power lines in the area. The communities most affected lay along County Roads 51, 54, and 67, as well as others just south of Myrtle.
Emergency crews responded to emergency calls in the wee hours of Thursday morning and activity increased as daylight approached to remove trees and downed power lines.
No injuries were reported in the area, however.
Road crews with Mississippi Department of Transportation also slowed traffic for a couple of hours Thursday morning along Highway 178, east of Myrtle, as they worked to remove downed power lines and fallen limbs that interfered with traffic.
Staff and volunteers with the American Red Cross also responded to the cleanup efforts Thursday morning.
Emergency response teams provided snacks, water and other items of need to those affected by the storms.
Patty Tucker, chapter manager for the Red Cross, said volunteers were assessing the damage in order to provide appropriate aid.
“Outreach teams will also determine needs, including food, shelter and clothing for people with emergency or immediate needs.”
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...