Urchins finish inaugural football season at McLaurin
East Union’s season came to an end on Friday in a game that was close until the final quarter.
Down by two, 28-26, at the break, McLaurin came out scoring 34 points in the second half to take the62-26 homecoming win.
“We were in it until around the end of the third quarter,” Urchins head coach Scott Duley said. “They had a quick 21-point swing, and we were unable to recover from that.”
The Urchins took an early 8-0 lead in the first quarter on a pass from DJ Armstrong to Vadale Rucker, and after McLaurin took a 14-8 lead, the Urchins tied the game on a 13-yard run by Austin Hannah, his first of two scores in the game.
East Union led once more, 20-14, on a five-yard run from Blake Spruill, and after McLaurin regained the lead at 21-20, Hannah had his second touchdown from 72-yards out to give the Urchins a 26-21 lead. McLaurin would score once more to lead 28-26 at the half.
“I thought we played very well in the first half, offensively and defensively,” Duley said. “We had an opportunity to score more, probably could have put up around 35 points, but we were unable to punch it in.”
East Union opened the second half with a chance to take the lead, but the Urchins touchdown was called back on a holding penalty. McLaurin capitalized, scoring 21 points quickly, 14 points coming from a pick six touchdown and a fumble on the ensuing Urchin series.
East Union ends its inaugural season at 4-5, and Duley was overall impressed with how his team performed throughout the season and said defense will be the focus in the coming years.
“They worked hard, and we have a senior class we’re going to miss tremendously,” Duley said. “We’ve improved over the last several games and started playing with emotion. We have a lot of work to do in the future, especially on defense and learning how to tackle consistently.”
“I’m overall happy with the effort of the young men. We have young coaches who are learning the game just like these kids are. It was a good year, and we have a lot to look forward to in the future.”
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series