We’re proud of the University of Mississippi and the way the Ole Miss administration and the great majority of its students have adopted the progressive views of a modern Mississippi and rejected the narrow, repressive ways of the past.
That’s what makes the ugly incident on the campus election night so unfortunate. A group of students, apparently dissatisfied with the re-election of our president, engaged in taunts and racial epithets. The group grew to more than 400 before being dispersed by police.
The disturbance got national coverage on the television networks, damaging the university’s fragile image.
Perhaps even worse, some of the mindless postings on Facebook, Twitter and the like reinforced the belief of some around the country that we are all a bunch of racist bubbas down here in Mississippi.
We know, of course, that is not true. We commend Chancellor Dan Jones for immediately becoming proactive in dealing with the fallout. His statement and letter to students, parents, alumni and the news media acknowledged the situation and the university’s condemnation of uncivil language and racial epithets. He made it clear the school will deal with those involved. More than 700 people gathered at the university Wednesday night for a We Are One Mississippi Candlelight Walk.
Beyond the classrooms, a university is an opportunity for students to broaden their horizons beyond a high school circle of friends. It’s a chance to meet and learn from people from other races, other cultures, other religions and other countries.
It starts with a civil tolerance of others.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...