Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney has become something of an expert on an unlikely topic – creating a state health insurance exchange as outlined under the federal Affordable Care Act.
The fact that a Republican elected official in Mississippi is among the national leaders in developing a plan to implement one of the key parts of Obamacare is somewhat surprising. It’s also a tribute to his common sense.
Chaney wanted to be prepared in the event the Affordable Care Act was not going to be repealed. Repeal would likely only have occurred if Republicans had won the presidency and also control of both houses in Congress.
Chaney’s forethought put him at odds with Gov. Phil Bryant, whose position seems to be to continue with political rhetoric instead of to deal with reality.
The law gives states three options: 1) Create a state exchange using federal money to get the technology needed to allow the state’s citizens to compare plans and buy their own insurance. 2) Cede the responsibility and control to the federal government. 3) Come up with a federal-state partnership to set up the exchange.
Chaney chose the first option – one that actually had been advocated by Gov. Haley Barbour before it was incorporated into Obamacare. We think he made the right decision.
Mississippi needs to take a pro-active role in improving the health of its citizens. Lack of adequate health care is holding our state back.
Chaney stepped up with a plan to keep the state with a voice in implementing the Affordable Care Act.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series