Hawks rally versus Rebels
Robert Montgomery scored 31 points and led the Hawks in a second half comeback over Hickory Flat on homecoming last Friday night.
The senior had 17 points in the third quarter, leading Myrtle in a 22-0 run in the second half for the 58-48 win.
The Rebels took the early lead on a three pointer by James White and led 11-5 after the first quarter.
Hickory Flat maintained that lead despite a 5-0 run for the Hawks to open the second quarter. Montgomery brought Myrtle within two, 14-12, preceding a 6-0 Hickory Flat run to lead 20-12. Montgomery had 10 of the Hawks 15 points hat the half, as Myrtle trailed by eight.
The Rebels were ahead in the third quarter, 31-23, when Myrtle went on a 22-0 run that stretched into the fourth quarter. The run started with back-to-back three pointers by Montgomery and Ben Paist. Taylor Hogue tied the game on a pair of free throws, and Montgomery gave the Hawks the lead at 33-31.
“Robert did what great players do and made some incredibly tough shots to spark his team,” Rebels coach Michael Seger said. “I’m proud of my team and their effort. I have a great group of kids that are improving daily.”
James Baker stopped the run for the Rebels in the fourth on a three-point play, making it 45-34 in favor of Myrtle, and the Hawks held on to improve to 4-1.
After Montgomery’s 31 points, Keon Hampton had 15 points for Myrtle, while Baker led the Rebels with 11 points, followed by Jordan Thompson with 10 points.
Hickory Flat 43 Myrtle 17 (girls)
Kaitlyn Wilson had 12 points to lead the Lady Rebels in the road win at Myrtle.
After Meshay Cox opened the game with a free throw and a 1-0 lead for the Lady Hawks, Hickory Flat went on a 13-0 run and led from then on for the road win.
Wilson had 10 points to lead all scorers at the half. Myrtle’s Amber Cook had two three-pointers to lead the Lady Hawks in the third quarter.
Cox led Myrtle (1-4) with eight points for the game. Myrtle will next play against Baldwyn on Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...