Pontotoc edges New Albany soccer
Pontotoc gained an early lead on the Lady Bulldogs, and despite tying the game in the second half, New Albany dropped the 5-4 decision on Saturday.
“I believe we outplayed them throughout the game,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said. “They had some lucky breaks in the back, but I’m overall happy with the way we played.”
The Lady Warriors had two quick goals in the first, but sophomore Kristen Olson scored the first of her two goals before the half, making it 2-1 in favor of Pontotoc.
Olson and junior Katelyn Watson each finished the game with two goals, and the game was tied at four until Pontotoc scored the game-winning goal with less than a minute remaining. Hannah Anderson had two assists for the Lady Bulldogs.
In the boys game, New Albany went ahead 2-1 at the half, but fell to the Warriors, 5-3. Ethan Rainey, Cesar Perez and Anthony Perez each scored for the Bulldogs in the loss.
“We played sloppy in the second half during the Tupelo Tournament last week, so I’m proud to see that we’re beginning to play complete games,” Vogel said of the boys team. “We’re continuing to grow and improve, and I think we’ll see a lot of improvement as the regular season goes on and when we enter division play next month.
New Albany next play at home against Oxford on Tuesday, Nov. 27. The Lady Bulldogs are 4-1-1 on the year, and the Bulldogs will enter the game against the Chargers at 1-3.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...