Pontotoc edges New Albany soccer
Pontotoc gained an early lead on the Lady Bulldogs, and despite tying the game in the second half, New Albany dropped the 5-4 decision on Saturday.
“I believe we outplayed them throughout the game,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said. “They had some lucky breaks in the back, but I’m overall happy with the way we played.”
The Lady Warriors had two quick goals in the first, but sophomore Kristen Olson scored the first of her two goals before the half, making it 2-1 in favor of Pontotoc.
Olson and junior Katelyn Watson each finished the game with two goals, and the game was tied at four until Pontotoc scored the game-winning goal with less than a minute remaining. Hannah Anderson had two assists for the Lady Bulldogs.
In the boys game, New Albany went ahead 2-1 at the half, but fell to the Warriors, 5-3. Ethan Rainey, Cesar Perez and Anthony Perez each scored for the Bulldogs in the loss.
“We played sloppy in the second half during the Tupelo Tournament last week, so I’m proud to see that we’re beginning to play complete games,” Vogel said of the boys team. “We’re continuing to grow and improve, and I think we’ll see a lot of improvement as the regular season goes on and when we enter division play next month.
New Albany next play at home against Oxford on Tuesday, Nov. 27. The Lady Bulldogs are 4-1-1 on the year, and the Bulldogs will enter the game against the Chargers at 1-3.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...