Invest for the future
By just about any measure, the economy is slowly getting better, both nationally and in the state.
Here at home there was good economic news last week as the 16-county region’s unemployment rates were released, and the overall rate – 8.6 percent — is the lowest in nearly four years.
Union County got even better news with a 7.3 percent rate, down from 8 percent in September. Only two counties in the region are doing better. Pontotoc has a 7.2 percent unemployment rate and Lafayette has 5.9 percent. Lee County was 8.3 percent.
With the unemployment rate headed down, we think it’s time for our state and local governments to think about strategic infrastructure investments.
Time has caught up with much of the nation’s infrastructure, whether it is roads and bridges, water and sewer lines, or public facilities.
There is no better time than now to prioritize needs and secure the necessary bonding to finance them. The cost of borrowing money by state and local governments is at an historic low, ranging between 1.5 percent and 3 percent, depending on the length of the bonds.
Paying for needed improvements at today’s prices before costs and interest rates rise is a sound economic policy that not only puts our infrastructure on a sound footing for the future, but also spurs the economy and creates more jobs.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series