Lions outlast Hawks
Robert Montgomery drained a three-pointer for the Hawks in the closing seconds of Monday’s game against Biggersville, but the Hawks fell short, 88-86, at home.
Myrtle had a strong start, going ahead by as many as eight in the first quarter and leading the Lions, 21-17, after the first.
Biggersville, behind nine points off the bench from Dorian Barnett, took the lead in the second quarter. Dion Wilson put the Hawks within one, 33-32, but the Lions outscored Myrtle, 8-4, to close the first half with the 41-36 lead.
“Whenever we got up, we relaxed a little bit, and they kept pushing the ball in transition,” Myrtle coach Cliff Ormon said.
“They continued to get the second shot all night. We would do good preventing the first shot, but that second shot hurt us all night. I think they finished with 21 offensive rebounds and scored on either 10 or 11 of those. Big difference in the game were offensive boards.”
Taylor Hogue scored eight points for the Hawks in the third quarter, but the Lions went ahead by as many as 12 in the frame.
Back-to-back three-pointers from Darius King and Ben Paist put the Hawks within five, and Montgomery made it a three-point game with 18 seconds left. The senior had the final two shots for Myrtle, both three-pointers, finishing with a game-high 33 points.
Danail Simmons led Biggersville with 27 points, 22 in the second half.Marquis Watson added 16 points, followed by Barnett with 15 points and Emmanuel Simmons with 14 points.
For the Hawks, Hogue finished with 17 points, followed by Paist with 14 and 10 points from Keon Hampton.
Myrtle played at Blue Mountain on Tuesday and will be on the road for the next four games, beginning with Ingomar on Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...