Rivalries and Twitter
While facing the mayhem on Black Friday in Tupelo last week, my dad and I took a break, which means I immediately went to my phone to check up on things in the world of Twitter.
Puzzled, my dad took my phone and scrolled through, trying to see what exactly it is that I find enthralling about the application. I then made the mistake of trying to explain to him what Twitter is and how important it is for me for work, etc. Needless to say, the conversation ended with no success and my dad simply shaking his head and surrendering my phone.
I remember when I first heard about Twitter while watching the Super Bowl with some friends about three years back. I swore then that I would never use such a crazy thing that was described as “just like updating your Facebook status.” Seeing as I hardly ever do that, why on earth would I use Twitter?
Slowly, I caved in, and it really is beneficial for me with work. Over 10,000 Tweets and 800 followers later, I’m completely obsessed and wonder how I ever functioned before using it.
The coolest thing for me using Twitter is that I have unlimited resources to finding out what I need to know about games and teams, which comes in handy when I’m limited to attending one game each night and want to keep up with everything else going on in the county.
Another thing I enjoy, the smack talk between schools. Mississippi State and Ole Miss have become infamous for this, using various hashtags (#HailState, #HottyToddy, and my personal favorite, #FeedMoncrief).
But this is not only limited to colleges. The Student Section Challenge began earlier this week, and the respective student sections that I watched, Ingomar (@IngomarStudents) and New Albany (@The_NA_FRA), use Twitter to keep the kids informed as to what they’re doing for particular games….and to smack talk.
Both schools did an awesome job on the opening night of the challenge, and I’m looking forward to more excitement in the weeks to come with East Union, West Union and Myrtle.
In the meantime, keep hitting me up on Twitter (@ezaremba1618), and I’ll enlighten you with useless sports knowledge and pictures of my dog.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...