New Albany soccer splits against New Hope
The Bulldogs have faced tough competition so far this season, and behind three goals from Anthony Fernandez, New Albany put away New Hope, 3-1, on Saturday.
Coming off of a 1-0 loss at Olive Branch Friday night, Fernandez put the Bulldogs on the board on a penalty kick at the 15:53 mark. Holding the 1-0 lead at the break, Fernandez scored two goals in the second half, assisted by Christian Rojas.
“We’ve been looking for someone to complement him up top, and I thought Christian did a good job of that,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said. “He saw a lot of playing time before the football boys got back, and he’s definitely earned a spot out there after playing very well last week.”
Vogel feels the New Hope match-up is more of what his team will expect in division play and is happy with the win after losses to tough competition in Oxford, Tupelo and Starkville.
“It was a good test for us, because that’s the kind of competition we’ll face in division play, so I’m glad to see that we were able to do well against a team like that,” he said. “We had five boys starting in different positions, which we started last week. They’re looking better and adjusting to that.”
The Lady Bulldogs defeated Olive Branch, 1-0, last Friday behind a goal from Cynthia Betancourt. Versus the Lady Trojans on Saturday, New Albany was shut out, 2-0, with goals from New Hope’s Reagan Hern and Farris Bradley.
“We didn’t have any fire power up top with injuries and girls being tired from the night before,” Vogel said. “You could tell by the way we were playing, we didn’t have anyone up top who could put one in the net. With the kind of formation they were running, you’re supposed to be able to score goals galore on that, but we had no success with goal scoring.”
New Albany will play at Oxford on Tuesday and will host Pontotoc on Friday and Lewisburg on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...