New Albany drops home games vs. Lewisburg
The weekend was bittersweet for the Lady Bulldogs; 6-1 winners over Pontotoc on Friday before suffering a 2-0 loss at home to Lewisburg on Saturday.
“The Pontotoc game the best I’ve seen them play all year, and they played a complete game,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said.
“I know it feels good for the girls to finally get a win over Pontotoc, and it feels good for me to get a win over my hometown.”
Kristen Olson led the Lady ‘Dawgs with two goals. Other goals came from Lucy Martin, Martha Vance Alef, Hannah Anderson and Katelyn Watson. However, playing without Olson, who was injured, and Watson, who was participating in a soccer showcase, New Albany dropped the 2-0 decision to Lewisburg.
“We were unfortunate to be without Kristen up top and Katelyn was gone as well,” Vogel said. “We had a tough time filling those shoes, but the girls came out and played well. We had a couple of chances to put the ball in the back of the net; we just didn’t execute. I’m still proud of their effort and feel they played better than the score showed.”
Scoreless after the half, Martin was close to putting New Albany on the board early in the second, but Lewisburg’s defense held strong and took the ball, scoring less than 20 seconds later on the foot of Minami Jackson. Katelyn Denton accounted for the second goal late in the game.
The Bulldogs dropped two games over the weekend, 5-2 to Pontotoc and 3-2 to Lewisburg.
Anthony Fernandez gave New Albany a 1-0 lead on a penalty kick in the first half, but Karter Porter tied the game with less than 11 minutes before half, and the Patriots quickly scored two goals early in the second. Octavio Lopez scored the Bulldogs’ final goal late in the game. Vogel said some changes will be made with his team traveling to Corinth on Tuesday.
“After two losses, there’s a lot to be done and work on,” he said. “I’m hoping it can be done given the short amount of time we have, facing Corinth on Tuesday. We’ll make some changes we feel we need to make in order to give ourselves a better chance to win. Those will be put in on Monday, so we have a better chance against Corinth.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...