New Albany drops home games vs. Lewisburg
The weekend was bittersweet for the Lady Bulldogs; 6-1 winners over Pontotoc on Friday before suffering a 2-0 loss at home to Lewisburg on Saturday.
“The Pontotoc game the best I’ve seen them play all year, and they played a complete game,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said.
“I know it feels good for the girls to finally get a win over Pontotoc, and it feels good for me to get a win over my hometown.”
Kristen Olson led the Lady ‘Dawgs with two goals. Other goals came from Lucy Martin, Martha Vance Alef, Hannah Anderson and Katelyn Watson. However, playing without Olson, who was injured, and Watson, who was participating in a soccer showcase, New Albany dropped the 2-0 decision to Lewisburg.
“We were unfortunate to be without Kristen up top and Katelyn was gone as well,” Vogel said. “We had a tough time filling those shoes, but the girls came out and played well. We had a couple of chances to put the ball in the back of the net; we just didn’t execute. I’m still proud of their effort and feel they played better than the score showed.”
Scoreless after the half, Martin was close to putting New Albany on the board early in the second, but Lewisburg’s defense held strong and took the ball, scoring less than 20 seconds later on the foot of Minami Jackson. Katelyn Denton accounted for the second goal late in the game.
The Bulldogs dropped two games over the weekend, 5-2 to Pontotoc and 3-2 to Lewisburg.
Anthony Fernandez gave New Albany a 1-0 lead on a penalty kick in the first half, but Karter Porter tied the game with less than 11 minutes before half, and the Patriots quickly scored two goals early in the second. Octavio Lopez scored the Bulldogs’ final goal late in the game. Vogel said some changes will be made with his team traveling to Corinth on Tuesday.
“After two losses, there’s a lot to be done and work on,” he said. “I’m hoping it can be done given the short amount of time we have, facing Corinth on Tuesday. We’ll make some changes we feel we need to make in order to give ourselves a better chance to win. Those will be put in on Monday, so we have a better chance against Corinth.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...