New Albany drops home games vs. Lewisburg
The weekend was bittersweet for the Lady Bulldogs; 6-1 winners over Pontotoc on Friday before suffering a 2-0 loss at home to Lewisburg on Saturday.
“The Pontotoc game the best I’ve seen them play all year, and they played a complete game,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said.
“I know it feels good for the girls to finally get a win over Pontotoc, and it feels good for me to get a win over my hometown.”
Kristen Olson led the Lady ‘Dawgs with two goals. Other goals came from Lucy Martin, Martha Vance Alef, Hannah Anderson and Katelyn Watson. However, playing without Olson, who was injured, and Watson, who was participating in a soccer showcase, New Albany dropped the 2-0 decision to Lewisburg.
“We were unfortunate to be without Kristen up top and Katelyn was gone as well,” Vogel said. “We had a tough time filling those shoes, but the girls came out and played well. We had a couple of chances to put the ball in the back of the net; we just didn’t execute. I’m still proud of their effort and feel they played better than the score showed.”
Scoreless after the half, Martin was close to putting New Albany on the board early in the second, but Lewisburg’s defense held strong and took the ball, scoring less than 20 seconds later on the foot of Minami Jackson. Katelyn Denton accounted for the second goal late in the game.
The Bulldogs dropped two games over the weekend, 5-2 to Pontotoc and 3-2 to Lewisburg.
Anthony Fernandez gave New Albany a 1-0 lead on a penalty kick in the first half, but Karter Porter tied the game with less than 11 minutes before half, and the Patriots quickly scored two goals early in the second. Octavio Lopez scored the Bulldogs’ final goal late in the game. Vogel said some changes will be made with his team traveling to Corinth on Tuesday.
“After two losses, there’s a lot to be done and work on,” he said. “I’m hoping it can be done given the short amount of time we have, facing Corinth on Tuesday. We’ll make some changes we feel we need to make in order to give ourselves a better chance to win. Those will be put in on Monday, so we have a better chance against Corinth.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- City officials: Do what you can now…but plan for the future December 1, 2016
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...