Bulldogs, Lady Bulldogs earn division wins at North Pontotoc
Andrea Lewis hit a late three for the Lady Vikings, but it was the play of Jazmine Spears that gave New Albany the 64-63 division win on Friday.
Spears scored a game-high 32 points, 35 rebounds, and hit 10-of-11 free throws in the fourth quarter for the Lady Bulldogs.
“It was a great win to get our first division win against what’s probably the best team in our division,” New Albany coach John Stroud said. “I’m proud of the girls for how hard they played in the first half. We relaxed some in the second half, and Jazmine had an unbelievable game.”
Spears and Aravia Foote helped the Lady Bulldogs get out to a 20-10 lead after the first, and Spears had 16 points in the first half.
North Pontotoc out scored the Lady ‘Dawgs, 15-8, in the third, and Tia Davis tied the game at 38 in the frame. The two teams traded the lead in the fourth, with New Albany holding on for the win, hitting 12-of-17 free throws.
The win helps the Lady Bulldogs, as three of the remaining four division games will be played at home.
Erin Michael Carter finished with 12 points for New Albany, while Chelsea Mabry led the Lady Vikings with 15 points, followed by Lewis and Ariann Henry each with 11 points.
The Lady Bulldogs will take on Amanda Elzy at the Hickory Flat Christmas Classic this Friday.
New Albany 71 North Pontotoc 57 (boys)
Harrison Harding led the Bulldogs with 16 points in the division win over the Vikings.
Marques Barton put the Bulldogs ahead 21-10 in the first quarter, and the Bulldogs out scored North Pontotoc, 21-14, in the second quarter to lead 46-29 at the half.
Luke Dowdy would get the Vikings back within 10, 67-57, with 3:40 remaining, but the Bulldogs scored the final points to earn the win.
After Harding’s 16 points, J.T. Moore and Eric Chaney each had 12 points, and Bernard Spight scored 11 points for the Bulldogs.
Murphy Daniel led North Pontotoc with 18 points. This was only the second loss for the Vikings this season.
New Albany will play in the Hickory Flat Christmas Classic, beginning on Thursday.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...