Citizens petition for alcohol vote
A group of New Albany residents is once again passing around a petition seeking a vote to allow the sale of wine and spirits in the city limits. The group, simply named “New Albany Spirit,” has begun asking city residents to sign its petition and will hold a drive between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., this Friday and Saturday at three locations in the city. Group members, including Chairman Mary Jennifer Russell, emphasize that the petition is not to legalize alcohol in the city limits, but simply for the right to hold an election on the issue. According to the state ordinance governing the topic, any petition asking the municipality’s governing body to hold an election must be signed by at least 20 percent of its registered voters. In New Albany, the number of registered voters required to sign the document is approximately 1,100 residents of the city. The drive will be held at Sugaree’s Bakery, at 110 West Bankhead St., the Chrystal Plaza Shopping Center, to the right of the Walmart parking lot and at the Tallahatchie Center Shopping Center, to the left of the Walmart parking lot. The petition will also be available for registered voters to sign at other times as well. Residents may submit their full name and signature by mail to New Albany Spirit, P.O. Box 981, New Albany, MS, 38652, or return it to one of the following locations: Sugaree’s Bakery, 110 West Bankhead Street, Tallahatchie Gourmet, 119 West Main Street, El Agave, 650 Park Plaza Drive, D.C. Service Center, 415 Hwy 15 South, D.C. Tire Town, 503 East Bankhead Street, Eaton, Babb, and Smith PA, 115 West Bankhead Street, or Crye-Leike Elite Realty, 130 West Bankhead Street.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series