United Way passes goal
The United Way has surpassed its 2012 campaign goal of $2.3 million in fundraising across seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi.
Last week the campaign announced it had received campaign pledges totaling $2,411,346, a number that some in the community thought would be difficult to achieve.
It will be a while before we know how much money was contributed by Union Countians, because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy causes in our county.
This past year we had $69,330 distributed to agencies that benefit Union County. The largest benefactors were the Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, Boys and Girls Club of New Albany with $15,000, the New Haven Center with $7,500 and Lighthouse with $5,000. Twenty-five other agencies shared the rest.
Giving in our county in the past has been below where it logically should be for a county of our size. Perhaps this year was different.
The overall campaign was helped this year by the first employee campaign at Toyota Manufacturing in Blue Springs and at supplier plants in the region.
The United Way supports many worthwhile causes in our community. We congratulate all the staff and volunteers connected to United Way for a successful effort this year.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...