New Albany picks up division wins in soccer
By Dennis Clayton
New Albany News-Exchange
New Albany took a pair of division wins from Tishomingo County on Friday night with the Lady Bulldogs taking a 7-0 win and the Bulldogs followed with an 8-1 victory.
New Albany’s #3 Hannah Anderson fights for possession of the ball in the Lady Bulldogs’ win over Tishomingo County during Friday night match. Anderson led New Albany with two goals, both coming in the first half. Final score of the contest was 7-0 in favor of New Albany. The Lady Bulldogs are now 2-0 in their division.
In girls’ action, New Albany jumped out to a 4-0 lead at the half and coasted to the win. Hannah Anderson led the team with two goals on the night. Commenting on the win, Hannah said “It was a good win tonight, we had a couple of starters out tonight, but we stepped it up and played well. We’re 2-0 in division now with the win tonight and we beat Corinth earlier. It feels good to be at 2-0. We had a couple of middle schoolers step up along with our tenth graders to play well and I’m really proud of them.”
Scoring in the first half for the Lady Bulldogs were Hannah Anderson with two goals, Sanders Goode, and Kristen Olson. In the second half, Lucy Martin scored in the 59th minute, Olivia Dunnam scored on a penalty kick in the 63rd minute and Martha Vance Alef added a goal in the final five minutes of the match.
The Lady Bulldogs dominated the visitors and stayed on the attack throughout the match. Even though they were missing midfielder Katelyn Watson, who was out due to a broken nose suffered in the Corinth win a week earlier, New Albany controlled the midfield and rarely allowed penetration into the defensive backfield.
The Lady Bulldogs are in sole possession of first place in their division and will face North Pontotoc soon in division play. That game will be after the holiday break and is scheduled for January 8.
New Albany Boys defeated Tishomingo County 8-1 in division play on Friday night to even their division record at 1-1. Picture is Anthony Fernandez (with ball) as he moves toward a shot on goal. Fernandez recorded three goals in the first half.
New Albany scored in the first minute of the boys contest on a goal by Anthony Fernandez and quickly gained the advantage in the match. Fernandez had three goals by the half as New Albany jumped out to a 5-1 lead at half. New Albany’s defense shut down the Tishomingo County offense and the Bulldogs evened their division at 1-1.
About New Albany Gazette
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert