Suspect shot by Union County deputy dies
By Errol Castens
NEMS Daily Journal
MYRTLE – A suspect in a domestic violence incident in western Union County died after being shot by a Union County deputy sheriff on Tuesday night.
Sheriff Jimmy Edwards declined to identify either the deceased or the deputy involved in the shooting until more investigation has been conducted.
“It was shortly before 8 o’clock that a 911 call came in,” Edwards said. The caller reported domestic violence, and a deputy was dispatched to 1218 County Road 51.
“It ended with the suspect being shot,” Edwards said.
Union County Coroner Mark Golding confirmed that the body of Clyde Bailey, 62, was being taken to Jackson for autopsy. He said Bailey died at Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto after his condition became critical en route to Regional Medical Center in Memphis, and the ambulance detoured to the Southaven facility. Bailey died at 12:14 a.m. Wednesday, Golding said.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is leading the investigation.
Edwards declined to note the suspect’s actions or other circumstances that might have led to the shooting, saying it would be inappropriate to comment while the investigation is ongoing. He did confirm that only the deputy, Bailey and two females were in the house at the time of the shooting.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...