Suspect shot by Union County deputy dies
By Errol Castens
NEMS Daily Journal
MYRTLE – A suspect in a domestic violence incident in western Union County died after being shot by a Union County deputy sheriff on Tuesday night.
Sheriff Jimmy Edwards declined to identify either the deceased or the deputy involved in the shooting until more investigation has been conducted.
“It was shortly before 8 o’clock that a 911 call came in,” Edwards said. The caller reported domestic violence, and a deputy was dispatched to 1218 County Road 51.
“It ended with the suspect being shot,” Edwards said.
Union County Coroner Mark Golding confirmed that the body of Clyde Bailey, 62, was being taken to Jackson for autopsy. He said Bailey died at Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto after his condition became critical en route to Regional Medical Center in Memphis, and the ambulance detoured to the Southaven facility. Bailey died at 12:14 a.m. Wednesday, Golding said.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is leading the investigation.
Edwards declined to note the suspect’s actions or other circumstances that might have led to the shooting, saying it would be inappropriate to comment while the investigation is ongoing. He did confirm that only the deputy, Bailey and two females were in the house at the time of the shooting.
About New Albany Gazette
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...