Lady Bulldogs defeat Vardaman at Renasant Classic
Focusing on more playing time for the younger players on the team, New Albany picked up a convincing 85-32 win over Vardaman in the Renasant Girls Challenge last Saturday.
Hosting the annual tournament, the Lady Bulldogs wasted no time building its lead. Ahead 7-6 in the first, Jazmine Spears led her team on a 10-0 run, and New Albany closed the quarter up 19-8.
Leading by 13 in the second, the Lady Bulldogs had another big run, out scoring the Lady Rams, 16-2, taking a 43-16 lead at the break.
New Albany out scored Vardaman, 42-16, in the second half, improving to 10-4 on the year.
“It was a good win,” head coach John Stroud said. “We still have some young and inexperienced girls, so for us, we’re just trying to get as much playing time for them as possible.”
“We’re not looking to toughen our schedule up, just get these girls some experience. I was pleased, and they played hard and together. That’s our focus with the county tournament coming up in two weeks.”
Jazmine Spears led New Albany with 29 points, following a 27-point performance on Friday, giving the Lady Bulldogs a 63-38 win over Hickory Flat. Stroud was also pleased with the scoring from Kayla Parker and Jalessa Davis, who scored 18 and 12 points, respectively.
“Jazmine is playing well, both rebounding and scoring, and it was good to see Kayla Parker and Jalessa Davis step up as well,” he said. “They’ll help us as the season goes on.”
New Albany returns to action this Friday, traveling to Rosa Fort for a division match up.
West Union picks up two weekend wins
The Lady Eagles improved to 12-4 after wins over Water Valley and Mantachie last weekend.
Hannah McQuary led West Union with 10 points in the 47-31 win over Water Valley on Friday.
The Lady Eagles came out again on Saturday, picking up a 56-38 win over Mantachie, led by 18 points from Julianna Garner. Gracen Conlee added 13 points for the Lady Eagles, who won after falling behind, 14-13, after the first quarter. West Union led, 25-24, at the half, and out scored Mantachie, 32-14, in the second half.
West Union will host Myrtle on Tuesday in its first division game and travel to Mantachie on Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...