Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations
Sarah Conlee, an outpatient surgery department nurse at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, recently received the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, an award given in appreciation of the work nurses do.
Conlee was nominated by several former patients who praised Conlee for her comforting demeanor.
Nurses like Conlee are nominated by patients and their families for the DAISY Award, and from those nominations, nursing leadership at Baptist Union County selects nurses to receive the award.
At a presentation in front of the nurses, colleagues, patients and visitors, Conlee received a certificate and a sculpture. The sculpture, title “A Healer’s Touch,” is hand-carved by artists of the Shona Tribe in Africa.
“I am very proud that Sarah was recognized for her compassion and professionalism,” said Randy White, chief nursing officer at Baptist Union County.
The not-for-profit DAISY Foundation, based in Glen Ellen, Calif., was established by family members in memory of J. Patrick Barnes. Barnes died at age 33 in late 1999 from complications of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, an auto-immune disease.
The extraordinary care Barnes and his family received from nurses while he was ill led to the creation of the DAISY Award.
Nurses in each DAISY Award recipient’s unit receive Cinnabon cinnamon rolls because while Barnes was in the hospital, he once asked his family to bring enough cinnamon rolls for him and all the nurses in his unit.
Baptist Union County is a 153-bed hospital that offers a variety of health care services, including labor and delivery, outpatient and laser surgery and a 24-hour emergency room. In 2008, the hospital renovated its Women’s Center, which features 10 labor/delivery/recovery suites, two surgical suites for Caesarean sections, a level II nursery for sick babies and a 28-bed postpartum unit. Baptist Union County also offers one of Mississippi’s only partial open MRI machines accredited by the American College of Radiology.
For more information about Baptist Union County, please call 662-538-7631 or visit unioncounty.baptistonline.org.
About Lynn West
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...