The annual Quality Counts national survey by Education Week magazine has been published and the overall state rankings are not good news for our state.
The 17th annual report contains an analysis of the states in six categories: chance for success; K-12 achievement; standards, assessments and accountability; transitions and alignment, teaching profession, and school finance.
Mississippi ranked 48th in the overall survey, ahead of Idaho, Nevada and South Dakota. We were assigned a grade of C-, largely because of our high scores on state standards, assessments and accountability.
Mississippi ranked 10th (a grade of A) in that category, which shows the state Department of Education is doing a good job in creating standards, and providing the proper testing tools to assess student performance.
Other rankings and the grades assigned to them: Chance for success, 49th (D+); K-12 achievement, 50th (F); transitions and alignment, 36th (C); teaching profession, 41st (D), and school finance, 45th (D).
The K-12 achievement ranking of 50th is very troubling. But it is not last place; that spot is held by the District of Columbia.
Many factors go into student achievement including providing a rigorous curriculum and keeping students in school, but many students are handicapped from the beginning because Mississippi does not have a comprehensive early childhood education program.
The reality is we will never see dramatic gains until we have all of our children ready to start first grade. That should be an important focus of our state’s politicians.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert